Cytokeratin LMW (8/18) antibody [5D3] recognizes Cytokeratins (CK) 8 and 18 intermediate filament proteins. In normal tissues, [5D3] recognizes all simple and glandular epithelium. In neoplastic tissues, [5D3] may prove useful to aid in the identification of adenocarcinomas and some squamous cell carcinomas. It is generally negative in keratinizing squamous carcinomas. Studies suggest [5D3] can be used in conjunction with HMW CK to rule out squamous cell carcinoma. Studies have also shown CK 8/18 expression in squamous cell carcinomas of the oral cavity may indicate a decreased survival rate.
|Download Oncore Protocol|
1. Angus B, et al. J Pathol. 1988 May; 155(1):71-5.
2. Angus B, et al. J Pathol. 1987 Dec; 153(4):377-84.
3. Rattan B, et al. J Clin Diagn Res. 2012 Nov; 6(9):1495-8.
4. Fillies T, et al. BMC Cancer. 2006 Jan; 6:10.
5. Reisenbichler ES, et al. Mod Pathol. 2011 Feb; 24(2):185-93.
6. Wang Y, et al. Diagn Pathol. 2013 Jan 18; 8:8.