Pan Melanoma 2 antibody is a cocktail of MART-1 and Tyrosinase antibodies. MART-1 is a useful addition to melanoma panels as it is apparently specific for melanocytic lesions. Studies show that MART-1 is more sensitive than HMB45 when labeling metastatic melanomas. These MART-1 clones do not stain steroid tumors unlike Melan A . Tyrosinase has also been shown to be a more sensitive marker when compared to HMB45 and MART-1 and to label a higher percentage of desmoplastic melanomas than HMB45. The combination of MART-1 and Tyrosinase may aid in identifying metastatic melanoma in sentinel lymph nodes.
1. Orchard G. Evaluation of melanocytic neoplasms: application of a pan-melanoma antibody cocktail. Br J Biomed Sci. 2002;59(4):196-202.
2. Cook MG, et al. The development of optimal pathological assessment of sentinel lymph nodes for melanoma. J Pathol. 2003 Jul;200(3):314-9.
3. Miettinen M, et al. Microphthalmia transcription factor in the immunohistochemical diagnosis of metastatic melanoma: comparison with four other melanoma markers. AM J Surg Pathol. 2001 Feb;25(2):205-11.
4. Blessing K, Sanders DS, Grant JJ. Comparison of immunohistochemical staining of the novel antibody Melan-A with S100 protein and HMB-45 in malignant melanoma and melanoma variants. Histopathology. 1998 Feb; 32 (2):139-46.
5. Center for Disease Control Manual. Guide: Safety Management, NO. CDC-22, Atlanta, GA. April 30, 1976 “Decontamination of Laboratory Sink Drains to Remove Azide Salts.”
6. Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI). Protection of Laboratory workers from occupationally Acquired Infections; Approved guideline-Third Edition CLSI document M29-A3 Wayne, PA 2005.