CD4 is a transmembrane glycoprotein, expressed on normal thymocytes, T-helper cells, the majority of mature peripheral T cells, and a subset of suppressor or cytotoxic T cells (1). Like many cell surface receptors/markers, CD4 is a member of the immunoglobulin superfamily. CD4 is expressed in the majority of T-cell lymphomas, including mycosis fungoides (2). CD4 has been used in lymphoma panels that include CD3, CD5, CD8, CD7 and TIA-1 (2-3). A panel consisting of CD4(+), CD2(-) and CD56(+) antibodies was also used to help identify agranular natural killer cell lymphoma of the skin (4). A CD4 assessment may be useful in HIV-infected individuals, as HIV infection depletes intestinal CD4(+) T cells and has a strong association with the level of systemic CD4(+) T cell activation (5). Tumor infiltrating CD4 T cells may also be a prognostic factor for the strategy of early antitumor immunity (6).
|FORMAT||Concentrate, Predilute, VALENT|
|VOLUME||0.1 ml, 1.0 ml, 20 ml, 6.0 ml|
|ANTIGEN||Prokaryotic recombinant protein corresponding to the external domain of the CD4 molecule|
1. Leong A S-Y, Cooper K and Leong F J W-M eds. Manual of diagnostic antibodies
for immunohistology, second edition 2003. Greenwich Medical Media Ltd: p. 65-6.
2. Izban KF, Hsi ED, Alkan S. Immunohistochemical analysis of mycosis fungoides on
paraffin-embedded tissue sections. Mod Pathol. 1998 Oct; 11(10):978-82.
3. Macon WR, Salhany KE. T-cell subset analysis of peripheral T-cell lymphomas by
paraffin section immunohistology and correlation of CD4/CD8 results with flow
cytometry. Am J Clin Pathol. 1998 May; 109(5):610-7.
4. Uchiyama N, et al. CD2-, CD4+, CD56+ agranular natural killer cell lymphoma of
the skin. Am J Dermatopathol. 1998 Oct;20(5):513-7.
5. Gordon SN, et al. Disruption of intestinal CD4+ T cell homeostasis is a key marker
of systemic CD4+ T cell activation in HIV-infected individuals. J Immunol. 2010 Nov
6. Rathore AS, et al. CD3+, CD4+ & CD8+ tumour infiltrating lymphocytes (TILs) are
predictors of favourable survival outcome in infiltrating ductal carcinoma of breast.
Indian J Med Res. 2014 Sep;140(3):361-9.
7. Center for Disease Control Manual. Guide: Safety Management, NO. CDC-22,
Atlanta, GA. April 30, 1976 “Decontamination of Laboratory Sink Drains to Remove
8. Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI). Protection of Laboratory
Workers from Occupationally Acquired Infections; Approved Guideline-Fourth Edition
CLSI document M29-A4 Wayne, PA 2014.